Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Life In Liberia Update.


IMG_1018
It has been quite a month. I started my journey back to Africa on February 22. I was in Columbus, OH for a week and half where I helped with the ‘To Liberia with Love’ Fashion Show featuring Korto Momolu's latest collection. I will post more on this later. It was amazing and God’s love just poured out on the show.

I hadn’t thought much of Columbus before I got there; really to me it was going to be just a week and half layover. But the more I thought of it the more I saw what God was doing. I was born in Columbus and my family moved to California when I was 9 months old. I really took comfort in the fact that I was starting my journey with Amani Ya Juu in the place where my life began. God is good.

I am now in Liberia working with an amazing team planning the Sankofa Fashion Show. I flew into Monrovia on the 6th of March. Liberia has really touched my heart, and is in so much need of hope and restoration. Liberia has been anything but peaceful the past two decades, and has started healing the past seven years from the devastating civil war. As you drive through Monrovia you see the city being rebuilt on one side, and ruins on the other. It is a different kind of poverty here; the people have had everything striped away from them due to the war. Including jobs, families, education, and even their morals. Many young women are forced into prostitution by men of the community and their teachers.

But there is hope for the country and hope for the women. God is doing something incredible here. I have been at the ABC University campus for a week now. It's gorgeous here in the middle of the jungle. We traveled 7 hours through the bush to get to Yekepa. I would tell you how the trip went but honestly I was so sick that I can’t remember much. I went to bed with a high fever, I think I slept for almost three days. Thank you Jesus for being with me, I would not have made it without you!
IMG_1149

I promise to blog more now! Thank you all who are supporting me. I am still planning to be in Africa until December. Please pray with me that I will continue to have support. Also If you haven’t checked it out already I have a few new dresses up on my store. Your prayers and donations are always such a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. I love these pictures so much! And that sky... it looks so fake! I'm glad you are feeling better, we were all so scared.

    And no pressure... but KEEP ON BLOGGING! The internet needs your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,

    I just stumbled across your blog through reading Ashley's blog and I just wanted to say that it is great to see God working in a such a awesome way! I look forward to reading more updates and will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, so tears came to my eyes when i read this, you are right, your layover in Columbus was the Lord's way of showing you where your one life began, a new one is now beginning. how proud i am of you, so selfless, so giving, so humble
    i pray for you daily, mom

    ReplyDelete